Friday, April 5, 2013

The NEXT post in which I cram 3 months!

Are you seeing the trend here??? I'm having to do 3 months at a time....wow. I'm going down in blogger history as one of the best, most consistent blogger out there. :)

OK....just get on with it, Gammy would say here.
November, 2012:
Highlights: Finally, a slower month for me at work...much needed as the semester's peak month of October really takes on a life of it's own. We were lucky to be able to schedule a week in PA, including the weekend of my birthday through Thanksgiving. Mike went out with some of his dearest college buddies and I spent my birthday eve at home with Mom and Christy...drinking wine and eating cake...what could be better? Mom, Dad, Eileen, the kids, Mike and I went to Monkey Joe's during the day and then they treated me to a lunch at the Pizza Grille, where Alex joined us. It was a great time to be with the Craft crew and the kids love Monkey Joe's! On my actual birthday, we went to church and brunch and the kids had a nice long nap....just what Mommy wanted on her birthday- - thanks, you two! As the week went on, we enjoyed lots of adventures...to Hershey's Chocolate World with Nana and another trip to Monkey Joe's with Mimi and the cousins. Thanksgiving including a yummy meal with Mimi and Papa and the Concini crew where Uncle Doug's girlfriend, Christen, joined us.

Lowllights: Since it's so long ago.....I can hardly remember any lowlights....this must be a good thing! :)

December 2012:
Highlights: Mike and I started off the month right -- with our first trip AS A COUPLE. ON A PLANE. WITHOUT THE KIDS. :) We went to St. Pete Beach, Florida and stayed at the Don Cesar Hotel & Spa. A beautiful facility on the beautiful gulf coast. The weather was phenomenal, the drinks were tasty, the time was TOO short. Mimi and Papa came to stay with the kids and give them lots of attention and love...can you say, spoiled rotten? Meanwhile, I was spoiled rotten with 3 wonderful, MUCH needed days of alone, quality time with Mike. By the time he left me in Florida for a conference for work, I was in tears because I just didn't want him to leave. (Much like the scene when we would leave each other during the long-distance part of our dating). Needless to say, we have resolved to do something like this every 18 months, because it's good for us -- and the kids.

December brought many other good things -- Ben's talking was just starting to take off....and he could get all the way through his ABCs and count most of the way to 10. He was pretty set on most major body parts and knows how to get what he wants by being as cute as a button.

Rachael continues to bloom...doing well at tumbling, ontinuing to love reading books, talking up a storm and singing songs. She has developed close friendships at school with Claire and Sienna -- she swears those are her 'best girls'.

Nana and Uncle Alex came to NC for Christmas....the first time we got to stay in our own home on Christmas Eve/Day and wake up in our own beds on Christmas morning! What a special treat.
Mike cooked a phenomenal meal and the kids were showered with gifts from Santa and Nana and others.
We went to see Santa and Ben was OK with it, but, Rachael didn't want to sit on his lap or get closer than 50 feet. Ironically, she'd been terrified of him for most of the Christmas season, so, that she even got that close was an accomplishment.

We made it to PA the day after Christmas for 5 great days with Mimi, Papa and the crew. It was a lot of fun, as always, and included a great time with the Hermance cousins that we rarely get to see and enjoy being with so much!

We rang in 2013 with the cousins in DC....it was a too-short visit, but, we packed in lots of play and plenty of great hangout time and yummy food thanks to Chef Nick.

Lowlights:
Unfortunately, Nana was sick before her visit with a bad bout of bronchitis. Her energy was zapped, but, she was such a trooper and kept up with the kids!
AND.....after a treacherous drive to PA on the 26th of December, we made it safely....but, not without plenty of white-knuckling from me.

January 2013:
Highlights:
RACHAEL is THREE! Wow....where did those 3 years go??? I feel like she just got here....and at the same time, I feel like I've known her my whole life.
Things to remember about Rachael at 3:
She loves:
food: pizza, pancakes, fruits (most), chicken nuggets, meatballs, pasta (of all kinds), peanut butter, cereal, english muffins and most any sweet treat.
toys/activities: princess dolls: Snow White and Cinderella are by far the faves. Minnie Mouse was a big hit for most of age 2 to 3, she loves puzzles and games -- Candyland and Hi Ho Cherry-O are go-to games. She loves to read....just about any kind of book. Her doctor's kit is never far away and is very good at taking care of her 'patients'. When outside, she loves to swing and climb on the slide as well as riding her scooter and tricycle.
Dancing and singing are also two favorite pasttimes.
Rachael also loves to say grace at mealtimes (no matter the time/day/or audience at the table) and loves to go to "her" church and participate in Children's Chapel and other activities at church. It is amazing to see God working through her....He is an amazing God.

Rachael is my 80/20 child -- 80% of the time, she is happy and curious and sweet and loving. 20% of the time, she is overly emotional and can be vehemently opposed to things she does not want to do and is very clear about her displeasure. She is learning (slowly) how to rein in her emotions...I am hoping we can help her learn how to manage them better as she grows.

Everyday, though, in every way, I love you, Rachael-girl from the very bottom of my heart, with every fiber of my being. You are and always will be my baby.....my miracle....my one and only daughter. You are a light to those who know you and the sparkle in your eye is your gift to me daily. I can not wait to see what this life has in store for you.

We celebrated with a Minnie Mouse party and had a grand old time. Rachael repeatedly said "Momma, I love my Minnie party". That line made every penny and every bit of effort worth it.

Lowlights: The month went by with a blur....can't recall any major lowlights (thankfully!).

PHEW......I did it! There.....those 3 months...for you...for me....for our memories. And what fond memories (mostly) that they are.




No comments: