Saturday, February 16, 2013

The post in which I cram 3 months...

So, I know that it's not possible (nor realistic, nor relevant) to give you every blessed detail of the last 6 months of our life....but, I'll provide an overview, for record-keeping sake.

August 2012:
Highlights: A busy month for me at work with a successful association retreat and a kick-off event that exceed my own and my manager's expectations! $10K well spent, we all agreed!
Seeing the love and outpouring of support from our family as we experienced the lowlights....

Lowlights: Mike faced his 3rd fever/illness which landed him in the ER. It was a terrifying several hours as we waited for results; thankfully they pointed to a virus (not the Leukemia/Lymphoma we feared!). Hallelujah!

A week later, my mom went in for what was supposed to be a cardiac catheterization to check for possible blockages; turns out she was 70% blocked in her left main artery and needed a quadruple bypass right away. Terrifying doesn't even begin to describe it. I was so thankful to be able to be with her as much as possible and am very grateful to Mike and his parents for taking care of the kids so that I could come-and-go as needed.
Resulting highlight: Mom has recovered well and is feeling much better and stronger and we are amazed and blessed.

September 2012:
Highlights:
Mike and I were invited to attend a wedding for our friends Darren and Joanna. It was a beautiful ceremony and swank reception at the The Umstead Hotel -- we embraced the opportunity to stay overnight....it was wonderful in every sense of the word.

The kids started swim lessons and enjoyed going each Saturday morning to learn how to do a front crawl and jump off the side of the pool.

Rachael started a parent-child tumbling class. I was (and am) absolutely blown away by her confidence and willingness to try something new. It was amazing to watch my preemie be a 'big girl' and do things that others can do. At the end of the trial class, she didn't want to leave! (This is how I knew I needed to enroll her). The other benefit: both Mike and I are able to get some one-on-one time with each kiddo once a week.

Another milestone: Potty-training! Rachael took very well to potty-training (daytime only!) and was peeing in the potty regularly within a week's time. Now, #2 is a whole 'nother story. Again -- so proud of her for embracing the challenge -- and the M&Ms rewards. :)

Ben's language was continuing to develop and his gross-motor skills continue to shine...he's a careful and coordinated monkey!
Lowlights:
The day after the wedding mentioned above, (Sept 10), I started with a low-grade feeling....and typically low-energy -- along with mouth sores, which were determined to be my first attack of Herpes 1 -- oh, boy, the fun! The fever lasted for 21 days....IT. WAS. MISERABLE. I had several rounds of blood work taken -- nothing could be found (thankfully?!). I was able to continue to go to work, but, that was about the max of my functioning....ask my tremendous husband who held it all together while I just couldn't keep juggling.

October 2012:
Highlights: Starting the month by making a quick weekend trip to visit with Mom and to see that her recovery was coming along and she was getting stronger. Middle-of-the-month trip with the Helms to the pumpkin patch....it was a bright, sunny, warm day and we had lots of fun! It's amazing how our families have changed and grown (by one boy each!) since last we were at the same farm.  Also, in the middle of the month, we had a great weekend visit from Allyson, Nick & the boys...the kids enjoyed going to the park and the neighborhood block party. Ending the month with a visit from Gammy....she had a great time as we wore her out by going to Pullen Park to the restored carousel, attending the fall festival at the kids' school, and carving our very first jack-o-lanterns. The cherry on the month was Halloween night...we had 16 kids and their families at our house for a pre-trick-or-treating tailgate. It was so much fun and a great time with our wonderful neighbors! The kids dressed as Minnie and Mickey Mouse and Ben kept up so well with his sister and the older set that he was going strong after going to 10 houses!

Lowlights: The kids had a quick (thankfully!) bout with the stomach bug...also thankful that Mike and I didn't catch it. Mike mistakenly left the diaper bag (my wallet inside!) on the curb at a Wawa stop on our way back from visiting in PA....LUCKILY, a good samaritan turned it in and the store manager fed-exed it to me! PHEW! Other than that...it was a full, busy and super fun month.

Next up....a review of November, December and January and PICTURES to catch us up!

No comments: