
Over the last year (or 12, since September 11th, 2001), as these national crises have happened, many a Facebook post has starred the photo and the idea above. As a parent, it is the ONLY thing I can cling to -- in times of bombings, shootings, natural disasters, and terror on our home soil, the only thing I can tell my children is to look for the helpers. Look at how our friends, family, and community come together to support each other. And, I always want to tell them to look to your faith and know that our God is in this with us, sustaining us in this life. Heck, these are the things I'm telling myself as these unthinkable acts happen.
And, so is true in our own family life. Over the last several months, we've had run-ins with the kindness of the helpers...some who are just "doing their jobs" and some who are giving of their time, energy and care without even knowing us.
Let me tell you these stories....they have been moments that have marked my experience of the world in ways that I don't even comprehend yet.
In August 2012, Mike was battling a supposed virus and fever. After a check-up at the doctor, he received a call while driving home from the appointment, "your blood counts are not good. Please go to the nearest ER and get checked." When he called me with this news at 5pm on a Wednesday, I panicked. I went into problem-solver mode and tried to figure out who could help me with the kids while I went to the ER to be with him. I reached out to the school where our children spend each day. By the time I arrived there, they had a teacher who was ready to go home with me and the kids to stay with them until someone else could relieve her! When I arrived at home with sitter and kids, my neighbor was there on my front step, and said, "you sounded like you could use a hug"....boy, was she right! She helped me get the kids and sitter set and sent me on my way- - within an hour of being called, I was at Mike's side and kids were taken care of.
Later that night, another teacher came to stay with the kids (prepared to stay the night)....and by the grace of God we were told the bloodwork from the doctor's office was faulty and it was, in fact, just a virus.
**************************
In October 2012, we were traveling back from a very quick road trip to PA. We stopped at a Wawa in northern VA to get some lunch and fill the gas tank. When leaving the store, Ben decided to take off for the parking lot, and Mike quickly followed, meanwhile leaving the diaper bag (with my wallet inside) on the curb! Unknowingly, we got in the car and headed for home. We were 40 minutes from home when I said to Mike, "where's the diaper bag?" As the panic set in, I called the Wawa store and sure enough, a good samaritan found the bag on the curb and turned it in. The store manager would go to FedEx the next day and ship it, using the credit card in my wallet. The bag arrived in tact within 2 days.
****************************
AND, today, April 26, 2013, while Mike was off to PA to enjoy time with college friends, I was picking up the kids from school. I had just gotten the kids in the van when a teacher approached and was telling me about some upcoming charity events. We got to talking and meanwhile, Ben was playing around in the van. Well, apparently, that was when he was pushing the lock button. After getting Rachael strapped in, I turned the car on to begin the battle that is getting Ben in his seat. I finally strapped Ben in and climbed out, shut the door and well..... Truly, it was my air-head moment. Lesson learned.Well, one of the Moms that I knew from Ben's 1 year old room was coming out with her boys and saw the panic in my eyes. She immediately came to my aid, giving me her phone and AAA card to call for assistance. And, even said, I'm not leaving until you get help. The tow truck would be there in 30 minutes...but the car was RUNNING with my babies inside! Rachael began to freak out and was crying and I couldn't get to her -- worst feeling in the world. Ben was, as usual, cool as a cucumber.
Another staff member was leaving the school and recommended calling 911, so, we did and within 5 minutes, the fire department (sirens and big truck and all) were pulling in to the parking lot and within another 5 minutes had the door open. I have never been so relieved to touch my babies!
In each of these situations, strangers and paid "helpers" made a serious impact on our lives....how do I repay them? What do you call these helpers in your life? Angels? Where does God fall in all of this? Is this the reward for believing or is this just "good luck"?
All I know is that I'm grateful and look forward to paying it forward. I hope there are opportunities coming my way to be the helper and teach my children to be the helpers.


No comments:
Post a Comment