Well, here we are. More than 3 months in. Lemme see if we can catch up. {Disclaimer: photo stream is not working properly on the trusty computer here, so, I will be devoid of picture posts until I can talk with tech support -- AKA -- my wonderful husband!}
January...what a month! Confession time: My grandmother was diagnosed with supposed lung cancer in September 2013. I say supposed because when you're 93, they're not really going to find out, since the procedure to do so could do more harm than good. She agreed that she'd live like she did the day before the diagnosis -- with the faith that God would take her when it's time. So, fast forward to January 2014...the beginning of the end. Family came from near and far to see her (and by proxy, since we live by an awesome airport, to see us!). The treasure of the family visits was not lost on me....a 2nd cousin from Cali, my first cousins from Arizona and Colorado, my Uncle from Alaska.....all came to my home within a 10 day span....what a treat. Time with them that I will treasure because it's a once-every-10-years kinda thing.
The kids were troopers while all of these new-to-them folks came in and out the house and guest bedroom.
Meanwhile, my grandmother was declining. She was pain-free through the end; the work of breathing was the hardest part (and that's HARD work, for sure!).
On Friday, January 31st at 11:45pm, she took her last hard breath and went peacefully and beautifully in to the eternal kingdom. I wish her kind of exit on all of my loved ones....surrounded by her daughters and with no pain nor much suffering and with her most valued relationships all in the upright position after precious visits just weeks before passing on.
I miss her more today than yesterday and I'm finding that I just long for one more conversation...not that I'd say anything differently than I did any other time. I feel blessed and at peace that I said all of the I love you's I knew how to say. I gave of my time and energy and heart to her -- just like she did to me. She's my precious one and I am thankful, so deeply thankful, for our relationship.
| Lenore Margaret Heinz Eavis (September 30, 1920 - January 31, 2014) |
Now....explaining to the kids....that's a whole 'nother post.
The other major highlight from this month:
Rachael is 4! Rachael is 4! Rachael is 4!
We celebrated "princess style" with a pink castle cake, wand-making, and with a visit from Cinderella herself. Again the feeling of thanksgiving washes over me that we were able to celebrate with her in this way and to be able to bring her that special guest was a memory in the making and one that took her breath (and mine!) away. I do have some photos:
To say January was an emotional month would be an understatement. If it's an indicator of 2014, we'd better hang on for the ride!


No comments:
Post a Comment