Monday, November 14, 2011

2 years...

Two years ago was the scariest day of my (our) life, so far. I woke at 4am with a broken bag of water gushing everywhere. I jolted Mike awake, dressed quickly, called Duke's OB on call, woke the in-laws to explain and rushed out the door. The ride to the hospital was a hurried, but, quiet, dark one. I couldn't have imagined the fear and the journey that lay ahead. That was to be my last car ride for 65 long, long, loinng days. I was admitted to the antepartum unit on the 7th floor of Duke University Hospital with one goal: keep the baby cookin'. Through some sort of miracle, Rachael remained with just little bits of fluid in my belly until 31 weeks and 6 days gestation, after the water breaking at 23 weeks, 1 day gestation.
I come to this day in complete disbelief on many levels:
~ wow! has it been two years already?
~ wow -- it feels like that was a lifetime ago!
~ wow -- I could not picture Nov 14, 2011 on that fateful day two years ago!
Mostly, I'm surrounded by a feeling of complete thanksgiving -- for the medical staff who cared for us, for the healing presence of our God, for the love and compassion of our family and friends and for the precious little girl who lights up each and every day.

No comments: