You know that phrase? When you fall and scrape your knee and Mom promises to make it "all better"? Well, today was one of those days and honestly, having these sweet babies to hold made it "all better". Let me tell you about this day.....
Rachael was scheduled for a follow-up VCUG -- it's an x-ray involving a catheter and being strapped down to a narrow board while the technician fills your bladder and watches the bladder and kidneys. Needless to say, it is NOT a fun procedure, as anything that involves strapping a child down certainly isn't good.
Well, we requested that they give Rachael some light sedation to help make her more comfortable (and compliant) for this procedure. Therefore, we had three appointments today at Duke: 1) Getting the sedation -- just some valium-like medicine to help her relax (HA!) 2) the VCUG itself and 3) the follow-up with the Urologist.
Let me give you the arranged schedule for the day:
Appt # 1: 10am.
Appt # 2: 10:45am
Appt #3: 1:20pm.
Let me tell you the ACTUAL times:
Appt #1: 11:45am - - YES -- 1 hour and 45 minutes after the scheduled start!
Appt #2: 12:30pm
Appt #3: 2:25pm
This is all the while dealing with an almost-17 month old and an 11 week old.....they don't do delays and LONG appointments. We were in 3 waiting areas, three treatment rooms, and saw two doctors and 4 technicians. The two of them were both troopers....managing as well as they could given the scenario! Mike and I were very frustrated and disappointed with the staff at Duke.....our poor Urologist, who we like very much, had to apologize profusely for the lack of service, even if it wasn't her fault.
Why am I telling you my tale of woe? For sympathy? (Well, ok, maybe a little would be nice..... :) ) but, truly, I'm really telling this story to say that these babies made this day "all better", even after all they had been through.
When we arrived home, Rachael was playing with her toys and Ben and I were sitting nearby on the floor. She came over and turned her back to us and backed her little rear end right up to my cross-legged lap and said "sit down" on her way there. (Luckily, I shifted baby brother out the way, just in time!) She then put her head back on my chest, fingers in her mouth and cuddled in to me. At that moment...holding both babies in my arms....giving them each kisses on their sweet heads...all of the day's chaos and craziness melted away. They make it "all better" and make each day, no matter how nutty, the best day anyway.
Sweet Rachael and Ben....I hope you know and that I tell you and SHOW you how much you mean to me, each and every day. I am honored to be your Mom...there's no better thing on earth!
An update from the sleepy Helm family!!
15 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment