Thursday, February 11, 2010

FOUR weeks old!

Happy 4 week birthday, Rachael! It seems that I already can't remember life without you in it, nor do I want to. And, as I was looking back through pictures last night, you've already grown and changed and I can't seem to recall you being that tiny...even though, to many, you are still so small. In these last weeks, your daddy and I (ok, mostly I) have shed happy tears, scared tears, and thankful tears for you. I imagine these weeks are a microcosm of your future....there will be happy, scary, and thankful times ahead. How about we make a promise for there to be more happy and thankful times than scary ones? I guess we'll have to trust in God for that, huh?

The beginning of parenthood....even including the pregnancy...and the trying to conceive part, for that matter, has been stressful and anxiety & fear provoking. (Is it that way for everyone?) I'm a bit sad about that, as I envisioned it in a completely different way. However, the love, hope and faith I have for this little girl FAR outweigh those fears and anxieties and makes the journey worth. every. minute.

Because I want to remember....here are some milestones, you are:
~taking 35-37.5 cc's by bottle or tube, depending on your energy level. (most days, you average 2 complete bottles, 3 partial bottles and 3 feeds by tube
~awake more and more each day
~enjoying bath time, except after it's over...you don't like to be cold and wet!
~growing and gaining weight....you're now 4lbs, 4 oz!
~tackling a MRSA scare (after the initial positive, the first swab came back NEGATIVE!)
~fighting a UTI....with an IV placed in the scalp :( - - turns out, you're a hard stick, like mommy


 Here are some pictures for comparison:
2 days old...CPAP, billi lights...no clothes....

FOUR weeks!
Drinking from
a bottle, wearing
clothes, 4lbs, 4oz

1 comment:

Hillman Family said...

Happy 4 week Birthday, Rachael!! WOW... what a wonderful difference 4 weeks makes!! Keep growing and thriving!! XOXOXOXO